krunner (kde4) question

p.daniels teeahr1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 13:59:12 UTC 2008

On Saturday October 4 2008 05:20:15 Paul Kaplan wrote:
> In kde 3.5, entering "kdesu <command>" in the earlier equivalent of krunner
> resulted in the command being run suid root, the same as running "sudo
> <command>" in a terminal.
>
> In kubuntu 8.04, running kdesu in krunner in kde4.1 seems at best
> inconsistent.  Sometimes the command executes (as in calling konqueror) and
> sometimes it doesn't (as in calling dolphin). Nevertheless, sudo works
> fine. In kubuntu 8.10, kdesu in krunner doesn't seem to work at all.
>
> Has anyone seen this problem?  Solution?
>
> Paul

Yes, I've seen it. No, I don't have an answer. For instance, I get "kdesu:
command not found" when I try to kdesu qtparted through krunner, but as you
noted, not when I run it through a shell. I have the suspicion that there's a
command list for kdesu hiding somewhere that's munging this up, but the man
page for kdesu is no help. Anybody else?

-p.