Beta 8.10 released

Valter Mura valtermura at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 09:01:52 UTC 2008

Il sabato 4 ottobre 2008 04:22:21 Steve Lamb ha scritto:
> Ian L. Target wrote:
> > Is it not  rather Microsoft-ish, this
> > trend of getting bigger and bigger and bigger?
>
>     You do realize that the image for Ibex is smaller than the image for
> Heron?  :)
>
> > Why upgrade if it is going to make your system slower?
>
>     LiveCDs, as explained in my previous message, are not a good indicator
> of system speed.  Not only are proprietary graphic drivers not installed
> thus slowing down screen refreshes the throughput of most CD/DVD drives is
> far below those of modern HDs thus increasing load times.

I agree with you Steve. As I'm not very skilled with manual (read: console)
tuning/resolution of problems, I use to try a live cd to test the versions,
and I always found them slower that the installed ones (I think in my case
due to the low speed of my drives and only 768 MB of RAM, plus a poor grafic
card).

In any case, as already explained, I need the new version because I
participate in both localization groups, KDE and Ubuntu, so I need to check
several programs and OS GUIs on the fly.

Regards
--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410  http://counter.li.org