Printing problem

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Oct 1 14:09:07 UTC 2008

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:

>>> Well, I tried power-cycling the print server and rebooting the computer,
>>> but that did not change anything. I guess this is going to be difficult.<g>
>>>

>> Not necessarily so.
>>
>> I would like to reiterate:
>>
>> What exactly is the make and type of your printserver?
>>
>> Or are you printing to an etherprot that is integrated into your
>> printer? Afaik the 1020 is a cheap usb printer that does not have a
>> network connection.
>>
>> If I missed it, please forgive my ignorance.
>>
>> You also should try to connect the printer directly via usb, just for
>> testing.
>>
>> Doing this will rule out any problem that possibly is caused by your
>> printserver
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Eberhard
>>
> This is a home network that has both Linux and Windows machines. I
> purchased a TrendNet TE100-MP1U print server, which connects ot the
> printer via USB and to the network via an ethernet port. I assigned it
> the IP address of 192.168.1.107, and it is listening on port 9100. I can
> print to it from one of my Windows boxes just fine. I can ping the print
> server on 192.168.1.107, and it is definitely there. When I try to print
> from my Linux box using CUPS, it first says it is connecting to the
> server, and seems to do so successfully, then it gives an error message
> "Unable to write print data: Broken pipe"
>
> Thank you,

This reminds me of my Dlink PSUS4 printserver. Prints greatly from
Windows but does not print at all from Linux. (inspite of several
documents from dlink). Actually there are dozens of forum posts that
complain about its ability to print from linux.

Did you install a driver from the manufacturer CD or from the Internet
to make the printserver work from Windows?
If so, chances are this is a cheapo model (I am just guessing here,
never seen this model).

Also if you google for TrendNet TE100-MP1U on google.com/linux you might
find good advice.

Kind regards
Eberhard