Why use a virtual machine? **RESOLVED**

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 21:19:35 UTC 2008

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> I am still basically stupid, Bruce.  Do I type in:
>>
>> steven at Studio25:~$ sudo /etc/sudoers Defaults timestamp_timeout=-l
>>
>> I wish I wasn't so dense; you probably have given sufficient instruction
>> before; with me it takes a bit of repetition and practice before it
>> sinks in to my memory.
>>

> No, you need to edit the file:   /etc/suoders
>

> So you need:    sudo <editor of choice>   /etc/sudoers
>
> and then enter the line in the editor and file the file.

Dear Bruce,

I got this on the terminal:

steven at Studio25:~$ sudo kate /etc/sudoers
[sudo] password for steven:
Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-steven" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
Error: "/tmp/kde-steven" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
Error: "/tmp/ksocket-steven" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.

I don't know how to correct the error, or if I must.

I got this when Kate opened:

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
# Defaults

Defaults    !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

This is the first time I have heard of 'visudo'.  How do I get the
correct man pages so I can study this before proceeding?

Do I type in:  sudo man visudo ?

Please translate in nubie terms:   'Defaults    !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn'

Do I cut and paste the following?:

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

Don't be afraid for me.  I have done this kind of thing with no help at
all.   If I screw things up, I will recover and probably learn something
in the process.  One thing you don't have to worry about is my being
careless when I see a # in a terminal.  It is like bells and whistles
and flashing lights to me.  I learned that while experimenting.  It is
no longer a problem.

Best way for me to learn is action.

Cudos, Cheers!, Ciao Bello, and Cordially my friend,

Steven