Why use a virtual machine?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 19:25:16 UTC 2008

nepal wrote:
> On Sunday 30 Nov 2008, Paul Rumelhart wrote:
>
>> The latest version of VMWare Player has support for
>> DirectX 9.  It's slow, but it does work.  Your old Win 95
>> games would probably work OK, but you're not going to be
>> able to play Crysis on it.
>>

> I've no idea what Crysis is so that is not a problem.
>
> The two games I want to play are AvP I and SegaRallye 2.
> Both need decent 3d acceleration to be playable, but I may
> initially try wine which I haven't done in a long while,
> see how that goes first. To go the VM route I think I would
> need to up my RAM which is presently only 512mb.
>
> nepal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis

Crysis is renowned for needing a hefty machine to play it.

If you have 512M of memory, you should definitely add more before trying
a VM.  I run my VM itself at 768M.

I've had some good luck lately with Wine, but it's still hit and miss.
The biggest thing that will get in your way is if your games have copy
protection.  That doesn't work well with Wine, although the older copy
protection schemes might be farther along in Wine.  Wine has definitely
come a long way.  I have been downloading the Wine tarball from the
www.winehq.org and installing from source so that I can get a reasonably
recent copy because it is advancing so quickly.

Paul