Why use a virtual machine? **RESOLVED**

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 14:44:16 UTC 2008

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
>>
>>> To legally use windows on a virtual machine, you need a license for it.
>>> What do you mean "not having XP any more"? Did you have it installed on
>>> some computer, and was it preinstalled (a OEM version) or did you have a
>>> separate copy you installed? The preinstalled OEM copies usually cannot
>>> be used on any other hardware, so no virtual machine as well, but if you
>>> had a regular copy you can use it.
>>>

>> This is the part that I did not understand well.  I don't know other
>> people's reasons for leaving Microsoft products, but they hurt me.  If
>> you register a purchase then have an accident and damage your CD, they
>> make you pay again.  From Windows 95 through XP I always had a legal
>> copy of Windows, however, when I had need for help, they made me pay,
>> even though the problem was of their creation.  I don't see the value of
>> registration, if they are unwilling to provide replacement when a
>> customer has an accident.  They MO is to make you put your CD back into
>> the system all the time.  That creates opportunity for accidents and
>> wear and tear.  The last time, I got so mad, I broke my CD so that I did
>> not have it to fall back on.  I wish I hadn't done that, I would like to
>> have a virtual machine, now that I better understand, but I will never
>> give Microsfoft another penny.  It may be cutting my nose off to spite
>> my face, but I want Linux to win this battle, and that kind of
>> commitment is necessary to make it happen, I believe.
>>

> As far as I can tell, this means you have a XP license, just not a cd.
> In legaleseland, that might mean that you could get a XP cd from anyone,
> install it and use your serial number to activate it (and at least in
> Italy you have the right to make one copy of your original disc as a
> backup, so if the original medium gets damaged you don't have to buy a
> new one - applies to audio cds and dvd movies as well, even if it's not
> widely advertised...)

Maybe it is possible, but I am totally alonne and pretty old.  The only
people I see are the post man and an occasional meter reader.  I don't
even know anyone with a computer, anymore.  But thanks.

>>> What have you tried that didn't work? Have you tried creating virtual
>>> machines and installing operating systems into them?
>>>

>> I was hoping there was some application out there that did not require
>> giving any money to Microsoft that would make the virtual environment
>> rather than using an actual Microsoft program.  Pretty naive, however,
>> that was the only way I would use it.
>>

> to run windows programs, i.e. any of the free/open source ones, you may
> try looking into Wine. Or for the open source ones, use the linux version :P

I do have wine.  I will try that.

>> The only thing I miss from Windows is Spider Solitaire, it was
>> entertaining once in a while.
>>

> It's available in the KDE card games :) (KPath I seem to remember?)

I tried it.  It is very different from the Windows version.  Not so fun.