Video with 8.10

A D Burrows ac046 at torfree.net
Sun Nov 30 04:52:10 UTC 2008

I have a PC, L7VMM3 motherboard with Athlon XP-M 1900+ processor and
KM266 chipset, 256MB RAM. I don't know what the on-board video chip is;
the manual says it puts out VGA, single cycle 128-bit 3D architecture,
128-bit 2D engine, 8/16/32MB frame buffer using system memory, supports
AGP 4X 266 MHz mode up to 1GB/s bandwidth, supports 250MJz RAMDAC, 2D/3D
resolutions up to 1920X1440, supports AGP Rev. 2.0 Spec. compliant. (I
_think_ the chip is a 128-bit 2D/3D AGP Graphics Accelerator.) My
monitor is an Acer 1917W

My OS at present is Simple MEPIS, kernel 2.6.7 (unstable). I find it
hard to add programs, which is why I'm trying to get a handle on Ubuntu
before switching.

Anyway, my problem is with Kubuntu 8.10. I got it a few days ago and was
testing it to make sure it was compatible with my old system. Well it
seemed to load, but there was no video. All I got on my monitor when the
CD had stopped spinning was a black screen. I tried rebooting into safe
graphics mode... which took some hunting to find... but I got the same
results that way. I've had the same trouble with earlier versions of
Kubuntu, but safe graphics mode usually fixes it.

What can I do about it?

-- Allan