package managers

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:48:59 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 11:13:44 am Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> > > I use all four....  aptitude, synaptic, apt-get, and adept  without
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > I believe they all resolve down to   dpkg  at their depths....
> >
> > Yes, and no.  Aptitude handles dependencies differently than apt-get, so
> > removal is cleaner.  There are other differences with regard to the
> > handling of recommended packages and so forth.
>
> Read what I said again..    I did not say they were all equal in
> value/action.
>
> But they can be used interchangeably.

And I disagreed.  If you want the benefits of aptitude, stop using apt-get.

What I did not know was whether the two GUI managers stored the additional
aptitude info or just the apt-get.

Oh, and in this instance, it is an oversimplification to say that they are all
based on dpkg, because dpkg does not manage installation of dependencies at
all.  Try adding a deb with missing dependencies with dpkg and you won't get
asked whether you want to install them the way apt-get, aptitude, and the
GUIs do.  You just get a failure.