Finally I am happy!

lanzen lanzenesi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 10:20:47 UTC 2008

Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> I didn't notice anything particularly wrong. There are a couple of
> small issues which I can live with. My KDE 4.1 on 8.10 on my Asus test
> box didn't work - the graphics card doesn't like the compiz and it's
> not black listed apparently. KDE4 on 8.04 wasn't a very nice
> experience so I'm not bothered with it much. I haven't touched Dolphin
> yet (will uninstall it later tonight) therefore so far so good.

*Ubuntu Eee* does not install compiz by default, but works beautifully
in that little space. I've split the SSD giving about 3 Gb to /root
leaving the remaining space for home. There's also another SD memory
card mounted in /media for extra space. I think KDE4 will be better with
its own eye candy staff leaving compiz alone.

As I said I have also another k/ubuntu installed on an external usb disk
and space, there, is no problem. I have a / partition and a home
partition there and even some swap space while I'm waiting to get hold
of a 2 GB ram. With Ubuntu compiz works nicely and doesn't slow the
system down too much, but I don't use compiz when I log into Kubuntu
KDE4. The visual effects are not as fancy as compiz's, but the useful
bits do their job. I think it's well known that compiz is much better in
gnome.

> QJackCtl and some audio packages are also loaded but I haven't loaded
> the Ubuntu Studio RT kernels yet.

So you're planning to use it for music. Interesting. Certainly advanced
graphic work is ruled out on such a tiny screen. Actually it could be
asking to much from any netbook! ;-)

>> Also I feel kde4 needs more ram to really rock: did you change it to 1
>> or e Gb?
> I have 2GB RAM for some time and it's really snappy. On the stock
> Xandros kernel I hardly used any of the memory.

Right, I'm waiting for mine.

--
lanzen