package managers

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Nov 25 20:32:22 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 12:13:09 pm nepal wrote:
> Is there any reason not to use synaptic as the package
> manager instead of aptitude? ( I ask as aptitude is
> obviously the default for Kubuntu).
>
> If I do use synaptic, is it best to just use the one or the
> other, or doesn't it matter?

I use it, it is one of the few things I found very nice about Gnome.  However,
I did find as I installed Kubuntu on a friends that there was missing in the
install some gtk things which makes the repository menus present all the
needed info to make handling easier.  On my system since it came
pre-installed with Ubuntu, when I added Kubuntu everything worked as it
should anyway as all the Gnome system is on the drive as well.  I haven't
booted into Gnome in months but use both the Synaptic package manager and the
Update manager with no problems in Kubuntu.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org