The fall of KDE?

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:34:38 UTC 2008

wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 November 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > Kcontrol _has_ been removed (for the life of me, I
> > > can't see why he thinks he could do anything in it he
> > > can't do in System Settings, but he _is_ right that
> > > it's gone. Perhaps he's just a little slower than me
> > > in realizing that much of what you saw in kcontrol is
> > > now in the "Advanced" tab of System Settings (it
> > > certainly took _me_ long enough to catch on).
> >
> > I'm just in the process of setting up 8.04 and one
> > thing I really never liked is KWallet. I looked at all
> > the options of System Settings and could not find where
> > to turn it off. So I ran KControl and knew immediately
> > where to go to turn this off. This is the kind of thing
> > that p****es off users like me having to waste time
> > trying to find out where something has been moved to.
>
> I agree Kwallet is really a bad pain

Actually I've changed my mind about that. I have been using
it for a week or so and it is not a problem. It was quite
easy to set up, the only difficult part was me remembering
that I have to enter my password when I start up KMail. And
after a week it is beginning to sink in. ;)

> but unlike some
> other distros, Kubuntu allows you to completely remove
> including the config files, just Kwallet!  I looked for a
> couple of days but couldn't find any place to turn it off

Just run KControl from a console, it is still in the
Securities group of settings.

> so I going to try to remove it and put back all the other
> files it took away individually afterwords but It worked
> fine to remove it completely!  I didn't have to downgrade
> to Gnome!!  IF that program is made a mandatory part of
> KDE, KDE and I will part company.  As it is I am staying
> with 8.04 till either KDE4 gets repaired or until Gnome
> gets good enough to use.

Gnome is something else I never liked too, perhaps it is
time to give that another look, but I don't like the menus,
and really really really don't like the file manager, is it
Nautilus?

> Part of the reason for Linux is
> that it can be configured to work the way YOU want it to
> work.

Yes and they don't try to hide it away from the user because
it is so flaky you might (100%chance will) break something.

> If you take away that ability, one may just as
> well use windoze.

woah! steady on, nothing ever gets that bad. In fact I'd
rather cut my fingers off and feed the mouse to the cat.
Having said that I really do miss playing AvP 1 and Sega
Rallye 2. :-(

nepal