Password question.

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Tue Nov 25 01:14:02 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> I think I am misusing the term root.  I have been using sudo since I
> started using Kubuntu.  I have not had help until now.  Somehow I got it
> into my head that sudo and root are the same.

In a sense they are......   using sudo allows you to issue commands AS THOUGH
you are root.

>  I hate to discard my 37 digit password, because it
> probably is the most impressive thing I can remember in my old age, but
> it isn't practical with Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Not very practical in any case  IMHO.

> During the Password discussion, I found many mistakes in my thinking.  I
> am surprised I could operate a computer at all.

No comment..   :-)

> I found that I will not be able to do what I want to do.  Do you
> remember Feisty?  In Feisty, on one of Kmenu choices was the ability to
> open a Root Shell.  I may not be using the correct words, but when the
> shell opened, it was in this position at opening:  steven at Studio25~#.

This is not a root shell.   It is a shell with  'steven' privileges.....  I
would guess that cutting and pasting  'adept_manager'  would not have worked.

You should be able to accomplish the same thing with  'sudo -i'   but I have
no idea whether that is what you want.