Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 23:18:38 UTC 2008

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Bruce Marshall wrote:

>>> No, your steven password is NOT the root password.    steven + <steven's
>>> passwd>  allows you to use SUDO to issue commands AS ROOT.
>>>
>>> You need to grasp this concept before we can procede.
>>>

>> I don't know what to do, Bruce.  I have reread it several times, I can't
>> see what you are saying.  What can ROOT do that SUDO cannot do?  My
>> password made SUDO work.  I know that it is me who is in error, it just
>> doesn't seem logical as I know the word Logical.
>>

> Your user "steven" can do anything root can do, and the password it
> needs to do that is the 37 char monster. I've just run the following
> test on my Kubuntu virtual machine:
>
> passwd ignazio
>
> and changed the password to testme1 (which was just complex enough for
> passwd not to complain)
>
> then with the same command:
>
> passwd ignazio
>
> I changed it back to what it was before, so it IS possible for you to
> change your supersecure password to a slightly more friendly one. Just
> try one longer than 6 chars with a number in it.
>
> Side effect of this: to use sudo you will not have to type a 37 char
> password any more, after changing it to a shorter one. This should
> simplify the original problem (if I understood it correctly, you want a
> terminal with root privileges because using sudo forced you to use the
> long password and that was a pain).
>
> HTH,
> I.

Thanks Ignazio,  I have already done that.  It will be difficult to
remember for a while, but there is no one here but me, and I wrote in on
my desk.  It will work until I get my new computer working.  I just have
to remember I put it there and that I have a new password.  I would like
to tell everybody the new password, it would make you all laugh, but
there is a little, very little security with it.  Shouldn't take a
cracker 60 seconds.

This must have been a nightmare for all who followed it.  But  there is
something that was critical for me in getting this done, and I still
haven't been able to be understood.  I have a friend that has a lot of
patience.  I will try to get him to a point where he understands what I
need, then I will have him word a post.  I wish my mind would work like
yours.  You all seem to be on the same page, and I don't even seem to be
in the same book.  But I will get it.  I have made such progress this
past week.  I am just thrilled again.

Cudos, Cheers, Ciao Bello, and Cordially,

Steven

Steven