Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 22:33:51 UTC 2008

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to undo what happened when I entered the xhost + and su
>> entries?
>>

> As far as I can tell, these two commands did nothing.
>

>> Otherwise I am going to have to format.
>>

> That's the wrong approach.
>

>> It takes me a long
>> time to reinstall, reset configurations, get the proper packages and
>> dependencies back in, and I have some serious problems that require my
>> computer right now.  I will also be out of touch with my family for
>> several days.  It is OK, friend, I will fix it somehow.
>>

> Re-installing is almost never needed.
>
> Remember, I said that 'steven' can only have ONE password....   I don't know
> what you have for a passwd now but I assume it is the 37 character one.   But
> you still should be able to change 'steven' passwd to anything else.

I tried.  I had the same problem I did last installation.  If I could, I
would like to go back to 'em'  even my 8 unit password is a problem,
even though I can remember it.  My memory is not so good anymore.  It
doesn't make any sense that I can remember the passwords I have.  For
some reason I can.  I can remember my soc sec #.  I can remember my 3
year old Drivers License #.  It is new memories that escape me.  However
now that I entered the 37 into the system it will not allow me to go
back to an easy one that I don't have trouble with.  Nils doesn't think
I need to format either, but this is where I was the last time I tried
to solve this problem, and I had to reinstall to solve it. It is so
embarrassing when I have to openly admit my shortcomings.  My memory
seems to be selective anymore and memorizing new things is a huge
labor.  I have been making much progress this past week, because
something has changed, and I am absorbing more right now.   Do you think
I would have used a two letter password if it wasn't pretty necessary.
It is 2 or 8 or 37.  Any 2 will do, but that's it.  Please don't be
concerned.  I will figure something out.