Password question.

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Nov 24 15:56:40 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> First, I can change my Login password to 37 characters.  Then I set a
> password for root.  Is that what the above says?

Then I can't help you and what you want I don't think is smart.  And.....
what I am proposing is not that much tougher than what you want.

Suppose:

1) You log in to your system with your gawd-awful 37 characters.

2) you open a console window in KDE.

3) You type 3 simple things:

xhost +    <this opens the X system for commands you issue at root.>
su            <jump down to root in the console window)
<enter roots password>

Now you have a root window that you NEVER NEED TO CLOSE FOR THIS SESSION.

And if you have a two character root password (Not recommended at all)  then
there is not much to type.

I usually have three such console sessions going at all times,  one of them
being an ssh session on my email server and firewall.

Now, if you'd trade in some of those 37 characters (like 25 of them)  I'll bet
you could come out with less key strokes.