Password question.

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Nov 24 15:33:57 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:

>> ciao bello
>>
>> Eberhard
>>

> First, how does Bello translate?

The italians quite often say "ciao bella", meaning goodbye gorgeous
girl. bello is the male form of bella.

Then, I wish I had a brain.  I still
> am not sure what I am instructed.
>
> You understand that I want security.  Do you understand that the only
> reason I don't want to have to type my password for a Root terminal is
> because of my physical deformity, a shorter finger that causes errors?

sure I understand. Then, why on earth do you want to type a password at all?

open a terminal and then "sudo -i" does it all for you.

> I want it difficult for someone to break into my machine, but I don't
> want so much security once in, when I am protected by the entry.

Very good. Then simply change your user password to something more
secure which you remember and you are done.

> And still, I don't want it so easy to enter Root, because of my
> inexperience and stupidity which can cause me to error.  My choice for
> solution being to have two choices, when I need to use a terminal.  *One
> choice, Shell.... One choice, Root Shell, without the requirement to
> type in a password*.  That way I will know to be super careful when in
> Root, because one will be configured with white print over a black
> background and one the reverse coloring; it will be obvious if I open
> the wrong Shell.

KDE 3.x should have anything that you need for this.

> Back in Feisty, I seem to recall that the Root Shell that was provided
> on the Kmenu was black print over a cream colored background.  That
> distinction alerted you to the fact that you were on a Root Shell.

In 3.x, it is still like this.

> If you read this email and believe this is possible, please just say it
> will work.  All who have explained it have left out response to that
> critical part.

It's left to you to deduct this from what I and others wrote. After all
it is you who decides.

> Once I change my Login password, Kubuntu or KDE will not me change back
> to an insecure password, so the only way I can get back to 'em' as a
> password is to reinstall the OS; that is if when I make the changes it
> isn't the way I have described.

???? Imho this is rubbish. YOU are the one in charge and you decide
which password you use.

I don't want to do that.  But I would
> rather have no security at all than have to type in the difficult
> password every time I want to enter Root.

Sure. You just enter it once. Exactly when you login as steven, once a
day, any day.

> Please forgive me for having such trouble understanding and explaining.
> This will be my attempt to try to explain the part I am confused about.
> After this I will just leave things the way they are.

Hm, this is not a bad idea, However when you change your "steven"
password to something more secure, you will not do any harm and you will
earn a lot of additional security.

Kind regards
Eberhard