Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 14:43:15 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>

>> Eberhard, you have me in a belly laugh.  This has been so fun.  I truly
>> want to hug you.  Everyone I know gets a hug when I see them.  It is
>> just the way I am for those I love.
>>
> I appreciate this!
>

>> To be sure I have the correct choice, because I do have concerns that I
>> could make a serious mistake.  I would like to type in my 37 digit
>> password to open the operating system when I boot up.
>>

> Here we are. If this is at boot up, I would call it " in order to login
> to the system". If this is correct then you MUST use your supersecure
> password for your "normal user" (named "steven", I suppose). Root MUST
> NOT login to the system, at least not graphically!
>

> In the Shell
>
>> dropdown, I would like to have at least two choices.  Choice one, Shell
>> steven at Studio25:~$ for my work, and steven at Studio25:~# for Root
>> changes.  Mostly I will be working in a shell with white print over a
>> black backgroung.  When I open the Root Shell, it will be Black print on
>> a white background, glaringly different.  I won't even have to think
>> when I open it, it will, by it's colors be a reminder, because you don't
>> open Root very often.  And I only want to open it once a day.
>>

> You can do this easily with KDE 3.x. I remember there was a "root shell"
> to be opened directly. I am currently on KDE 4 in Intrepid, so I cannot
> help adequately with this, but it is easy. Btw., on Intrepid I cannot
> find root shell, but as a Linux user, honestly, I do not need it.
>
>> Eberhard, it seems if the web site instruction allows what I want it
>> would actually be better than keeping an active Root Shell on my
>> drop-down links,
>>

> Well the web instructions do not relate to this!
>
> As I said, you can have your root shell "as is" and I would recommend to
> leave it at this. But it is entirely up to you!
>
> Or you change your system to have a separate pasword for root. It's
> entirely up to you, once again, but it does not relate to the "root
> shell" icon on your desktop.
>

>> Cheers! Ciao, and Cordially,
>>

> ciao bello
>
> Eberhard

First, how does Bello translate?  Then, I wish I had a brain.  I still
am not sure what I am instructed.

You understand that I want security.  Do you understand that the only
reason I don't want to have to type my password for a Root terminal is
because of my physical deformity, a shorter finger that causes errors?

I want it difficult for someone to break into my machine, but I don't
want so much security once in, when I am protected by the entry.

And still, I don't want it so easy to enter Root, because of my
inexperience and stupidity which can cause me to error.  My choice for
solution being to have two choices, when I need to use a terminal.  *One
choice, Shell.... One choice, Root Shell, without the requirement to
type in a password*.  That way I will know to be super careful when in
Root, because one will be configured with white print over a black
background and one the reverse coloring; it will be obvious if I open
the wrong Shell.

Back in Feisty, I seem to recall that the Root Shell that was provided
on the Kmenu was black print over a cream colored background.  That
distinction alerted you to the fact that you were on a Root Shell.

If you read this email and believe this is possible, please just say it
will work.  All who have explained it have left out response to that
critical part.

Once I change my Login password, Kubuntu or KDE will not me change back
to an insecure password, so the only way I can get back to 'em' as a
password is to reinstall the OS; that is if when I make the changes it
isn't the way I have described.  I don't want to do that.  But I would
rather have no security at all than have to type in the difficult
password every time I want to enter Root.

Please forgive me for having such trouble understanding and explaining.
This will be my attempt to try to explain the part I am confused about.
After this I will just leave things the way they are.

Cheers! Caio Bello, and Cordially,

Steven        I have been robbing peoples salutations.  The ones I
like.  Ha!