Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 01:50:00 UTC 2008

Mosair Alves Santana wrote:

> Boa Noite!
>
> Antes  de mais nada , quero me desculpar, pois vocês tem se esforçado
> em transmitir a mim todas as minhas necessidades, mas falta a
> principal: É por isso, que estou discontente com o LÍNOX, pois até
> para salvar, copiar e colar, não funcionam, só para terem uma base, eu
> pesquiso via internet , copio e na hora de colar nas pastas não há
> como efetuar, e isto me faz nervoso, pois às vezes são coisas que é
> útil a mim, nos estudos... por isso, estou insatisfeito com línox, não
> está me atendendo bem e adequadamente.... Desculpe-me
>
> Abraços de Mosair Alves Santana.
> **
>

>     Bruce Marshall wrote:
>     > On Sunday 23 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>     >
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >> Thanks Paul. You better understand my situation. I truly wish I had
>     >> the security concern. I live and am totally alone. I may see one
>     >> person a week, and then they are not someone who has time to
>     talk. I
>     >> see the mailman once in a while.
>     >>
>     >
>     > But you must also be concerned about someone coming in from the
>     outside and
>     > being able to become root even though they are 100's of miles
>     away. That is
>     > part of the reason for security.... and the reason for having a
>     firewall.
>     >
>     >
>     I don't want a lack of security. I want the firewall. I currently
>     have
>     a 2 digit login. I do that because of the difficulty I have typing in
>     something safer. Absolutely anyone could break into my machine as
>     it is
>     now. My limitations are something I have to live with. I will never
>     leave the computer on when I leave my studio. So anyone who wants to
>     break into it will have to figure out an unrelated to anything
>     bunch of
>     letters, cases, symbols none of which include my grandchildren's
>     name,
>     my dog, any name in the bible or any book, I am talking about I
>     learned
>     a 37 digit password that doesn't mean anything at all to me. There is
>     nothing I can reference it to. I know it can be broken, but not as
>     easily as most of everyone else's. If it was safe to do, I would
>     put a
>     totally unrelated 1gb password on a thumb drive and increase my
>     security
>     even more, I just don't feel that insecure. I would like to be more
>     secure than I current am. So if you all are worried for my sake, I
>     virtually have an open door. You might be interested you can only do
>     this when you make a fresh install, Kubuntu will not let you
>     reduce to
> [...]
Dear Mosair,

I don't know how to use the translator yet, and I am not sure if you are
speaking Spanish, Italian, or perhaps Portugese, but the language looks
somewhat familiar.  I will save this email and learn how to translate it
and get back to you.

I think you are saying to not quit using Linux.  If that is so, don't
worry my friend.  Where could I go to.  Certainly not Vista.  I just
wanted those who were trying to help me, for my sake, to stop trying so
hard, and help me solve my problem anyway.  You have to be missing a
finger to know how important it is.

If you think about it, when you take a stuck lid off a jar, it requires
all your fingers to be the same length to be strong enough to get it
off.  Just missing the end of one, eliminates any strength you would get
from the missing one and those that follow.  All and the only strength
comes from the ones near the thumb.  Also when one finger is shorter,
you have to stretch to reach the upper keys.  And with a hard wide
insensitive to touch end, it is hard to hit only one key, and you don't
get any help from your sense of feeling.   Anyway, I could never leave
Linux, it would take me away from this forum.  And since you are writing
me from this forum, I already know I like you.

As soon as I can get this translation thing figured out, let's be
friends.  I think you wrote once before and I failed to understand and
did not respond.  Please forgive my laziness.  I can't wait to
understand what you have to say.

Cheers! Ciao, and Cordially,

Steven

Cordially, my friend,