Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 01:29:35 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Eberhard Roloff wrote:

>>> Hi Steven,
>>>
>>> Well, I cannot answer this. There are numerous discussions around
>>> whether the Ubuntu way is more secure or not than "the other way round",
>>> which is, just for example, the SuSe or Red Hat way.
>>>
>>> Although I surely have my own opinion about this, I will not divulge it,
>>> there are to many flames around. ;-)
>>>
>>> What are the differences?
>>>
>>> Now you are just doing sudo fsck /dev/sda1
>>> alternatively when you need to be root for any length of time, you will do:
>>> sudo -i
>>> Password
>>>
>>> With a separate root account, it is similar but not at all identical.
>>> For example, sudo "something" will no longer work (except if you go and
>>> configure it) and you will most likely use "su -" to become root and
>>> then "exit" or "Ctrl+D" to exit root.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, I think you REALLY might prefer to use a strong root
>>> password and a weaker user password, since it is root where a
>>> compromised security will have potentially disastrous consequences.
>>>
>>> Again, if you are familiar with the Ubnutu way, I would strongly
>>> recommend to leave it at that.
>>>
>>> If you insist to have a separate password for root, you might google this:
>>> http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-change-the-root-password-in-ubuntu
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Eberhard
>>>

>> Dear Eberhard,
>>
>> I know you understand my limitations; I am old, inexperienced, and do
>> not know all the ramifications of what I ask.  Nonetheless, until
>> someone can convince me that I can lose more than the OS and some data,
>> I am willing to chance that, in favor of the great benefit it will serve
>> me.  I don't think my advisers here in the forum believe I will ever use
>> the safer Shell.  I think they believe I will just stay in Root.  I also
>> believe that they probably have their computers set up to work much the
>> same as I want mine, for ease of operation, unless they are subject to
>> security issues which I am not.
>>
>> Now I want to be sure I understand.  I can retain a logged in and
>> password protected  sudo shell, and still have a more safe [not password
>> protected] Shell to work from.  _I do not want to be in Root all the
>> time_.  _I just want to be able to enter that security without have to
>> type it in more than once per session_.  I don't feel that I am mistake
>> proof, if I stay in Root all the time.  I believe _I am 100% safe with
>> an already logged in Root Shell, if I can work from a secured shell, and
>> when all I need to do is click on the Session menu item in the shell
>> program and open Root Shell and already be logged in._  The contrast of
>> their appearance will always be a reminder that I am on dangerous
>> ground, and I will be careful.  I have to do that and be careful when I
>> get sudo privileges anyway, don't I?
>>
>> _I DO NOT want to change to a root password, if I cannot have a safer
> [...]
Eberhard, you have me in a belly laugh.  This has been so fun.  I truly
want to hug you.  Everyone I know gets a hug when I see them.  It is
just the way I am for those I love.

To be sure I have the correct choice, because I do have concerns that I
could make a serious mistake.  I would like to type in my 37 digit
password to open the operating system when I boot up.  In the Shell
dropdown, I would like to have at least two choices.  Choice one, Shell
steven at Studio25:~$ for my work, and steven at Studio25:~# for Root
changes.  Mostly I will be working in a shell with white print over a
black backgroung.  When I open the Root Shell, it will be Black print on
a white background, glaringly different.  I won't even have to think
when I open it, it will, by it's colors be a reminder, because you don't
open Root very often.  And I only want to open it once a day.

Eberhard, it seems if the web site instruction allows what I want it
would actually be better than keeping an active Root Shell on my
drop-down links, but only because I will probably open it unnecessarily
some times.  The other way, it is tucked inside an Icon that provides
the two options.  By the way, I am still laughing.  This has been so
fun, and funny to me.  If I have this right, the way I described, Thank
You!!!!

Cheers! Ciao, and Cordially,

Steven