Some Mounting information seems missing?

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 01:15:05 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am starting to learn to use a terminal.  The manual said I could see
> my mounted partitions by typing mount.  I did, and partitions I expected
> to me mounted were mounted, however, sdb5 should have shown and did not.
>
> As I recall, I cannot yet use that partition by trying to save to it,
> but I am able to enter a sub-directore that is in that partition.  So I
> am able to store data in the drive, just not in sdb5.  I would really
> like that partition to work like the other partitions that are used for
> storage.  If that is the reason sdb5 does not show up as mounted, how do
> I properly mount that partition?  TIA
>
> I bet a lot of you who recognize my name can see improvement in my
> understanding.
>
> Steven

i wasn't following much in the previous conversation. good job in trying
to understand mount :D

if the partition is not showing when you type mount, this means it's not
mounted yet. did the guys tell you how to mount it? if so, try to use
that command and then check mount. if not, we want to know how it was
mounted last time, maybe through dolphin's automount?
anyway, to mount a partition automatically, it has to be listed in the
file /etc/fstab . as soon as you think you understand mounting, try to
learn fstab. type the following on the command line:
konqueror man:/fstab

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems