Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 00:45:32 UTC 2008

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 23 November 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
>

>> Thanks Paul.  You better understand my situation.  I truly wish I had
>> the security concern.  I live and am totally alone.  I may see one
>> person a week, and then they are not someone who has time to talk.  I
>> see the mailman once in a while.
>>

> But you must also be concerned about someone coming in from the outside and
> being able to become root even though they are 100's of miles away.  That is
> part of the reason for security....   and the reason for having a firewall.

I don't want a lack of security.  I want the firewall.  I currently have
a 2 digit login.  I do that because of the difficulty I have typing in
something safer.  Absolutely anyone could break into my machine as it is
now.  My limitations are something I have to live with.  I will never
leave the computer on when I leave my studio.  So anyone who wants to
break into it will have to figure out an unrelated to anything bunch of
letters, cases, symbols none of which include my grandchildren's name,
my dog, any name in the bible or any book, I am talking about I learned
a 37 digit password that doesn't mean anything at all to me.  There is
nothing I can reference it to.  I know it can be broken, but not as
easily as most of everyone else's.  If it was safe to do, I would put a
totally unrelated 1gb password on a thumb drive and increase my security
even more, I just don't feel that insecure.  I would like to be more
secure than I current am.  So if you all are worried for my sake, I
virtually have an open door.  You might be interested you can only do
this when you make a fresh install, Kubuntu will not let you reduce to
an easier password than the one you are using unless on first
installation.  Bruce, I love you.  You have never been anything but kind
to me.  I have similar interests with your wife as an artist.  Why would
you or anyone want to take a freedom from me?  I would never do  that
with you.  I am perhaps the most responsible person you know.  I don't
break my word ever, anymore.  I don't hide any of my weaknesses.  I have
no pride.  I literally love every moment of my life anymore.  Why should
I have this freedom taken from me.  It is unAmerican.  I realize that
Kubuntu creators are in Africa.  At least that is what I am told.  But
you are an American.  We thrive on freedom.

You do not have to give me the answer I need, even though it would be an
act of kindness.  I will either get what I want or change to an
operating system that provides it.  The forum has made me lose
confidence in it.  I am not asking for the right to murder an unborn
child, granting my request will hurt no one at all, even me.  I am a
careful man.  And apparently you who try to protect me have the
knowledge, or why would you not tell me it can't be done.  As you can
see, I care deeply for serious matters, even though you may not agree
with me.  And I am always going to care for those of you that I have
become friends with, even if I have to give up Kubuntu.  I am weak and
old, and unimportant, and still I will not be under the will of others,
save for GOD and HIS perfect Son.  I would swallow razor blades for them
if I thought it would please them at all.  But I resist this country I
love, every time they strip us from another freedom.  I wear a seatbelt;
maybe I would and maybe I wouldn't if not forced to.  It is just another
form of taxation without representation.  I never got a vote on the
issue.  I hate taxing addictive things even though I disapprove of
alcohol and cigaretts or gasoline, because it has become such a
necessity in our way of life.  I hate turning a criminal lose because of
some stupid decision made by a judge somewhere in this country which was
used to get  a guilty person out of jail.  I want their kind of freedom.

When two people oppose each other in court, why is their usually some
kind of compromise rather than complete exhoneration and penalty to the
extent of the crime.  All of this is the same thing to me.  Nothing I
have used for examples is more or less to me than refusing the freedom I
ask.  To me, right is right, and wrong is wrong.  I don't even want
quarter when I am the one judged.

My prayer to GOD, when I may be guilty of offending HIM is, I desire HIS
discipline, full measure, when I am wrong, and HIS supernatural support,
when I am right and subject to a stronger opponent.  I don't want to get
away with anything.  I want HIS forgiveness when my heart is truly
repentant, and not until.  I want HIM to be a little more forgiving with
you and those others I love, but not for me.  I want to be better than I
am.  I also want my Root Shell pre-password protected, if I can also
have a safe shell to work from.

Cordially,

Steven