Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 00:08:25 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Eberhard Roloff wrote:

>>> With Linux, genarally anything is possible.;-)
>>>
>>> While this is possible, I would not advise to implent it. The Ubuntu
>>> concept of the first  user i.e. the admin user is that you use a rather
>>> secure password to login and then use the same to "su" to root, as needed.
>>>
>>> You can alter this and there are howtos to separate root to use its own
>>> password.
>>>
>>> It's actually quite simple but I would not advise you to do it since you
>>> are already familiar with the "Ubuntu way" of doing things. This is
>>> because, when you do it, your system will behave differently afterwards
>>> and you will need to treat it differently.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Eberhard
>>>

>> Sorry I wasn't paying adequate attention to what you just wrote.  I was
>> already thinking of possible reasons for avoiding this.  How does it
>> change my system?  What change in behavior would be anticipated?  In my
>> situation, is it more insecure?  TIA, friend.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Hi Steven,
>
> Well, I cannot answer this. There are numerous discussions around
> whether the Ubuntu way is more secure or not than "the other way round",
> which is, just for example, the SuSe or Red Hat way.
>
> Although I surely have my own opinion about this, I will not divulge it,
> there are to many flames around. ;-)
>
> What are the differences?
>
> Now you are just doing sudo fsck /dev/sda1
> alternatively when you need to be root for any length of time, you will do:
> sudo -i
> Password
>
> With a separate root account, it is similar but not at all identical.
> For example, sudo "something" will no longer work (except if you go and
> configure it) and you will most likely use "su -" to become root and
> then "exit" or "Ctrl+D" to exit root.
>
> Furthermore, I think you REALLY might prefer to use a strong root
> password and a weaker user password, since it is root where a
> compromised security will have potentially disastrous consequences.
>
> Again, if you are familiar with the Ubnutu way, I would strongly
> recommend to leave it at that.
>
> If you insist to have a separate password for root, you might google this:
> http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-change-the-root-password-in-ubuntu
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

Dear Eberhard,

I know you understand my limitations; I am old, inexperienced, and do
not know all the ramifications of what I ask.  Nonetheless, until
someone can convince me that I can lose more than the OS and some data,
I am willing to chance that, in favor of the great benefit it will serve
me.  I don't think my advisers here in the forum believe I will ever use
the safer Shell.  I think they believe I will just stay in Root.  I also
believe that they probably have their computers set up to work much the
same as I want mine, for ease of operation, unless they are subject to
security issues which I am not.

Now I want to be sure I understand.  I can retain a logged in and
password protected  sudo shell, and still have a more safe [not password
protected] Shell to work from.  _I do not want to be in Root all the
time_.  _I just want to be able to enter that security without have to
type it in more than once per session_.  I don't feel that I am mistake
proof, if I stay in Root all the time.  I believe _I am 100% safe with
an already logged in Root Shell, if I can work from a secured shell, and
when all I need to do is click on the Session menu item in the shell
program and open Root Shell and already be logged in._  The contrast of
their appearance will always be a reminder that I am on dangerous
ground, and I will be careful.  I have to do that and be careful when I
get sudo privileges anyway, don't I?

_I DO NOT want to change to a root password, if I cannot have a safer
shell to work from_.  It is important.  I am always a little stressed
when I enter a root command.  I am certain before I press the enter
key.  Please respond one more time to confirm that I can do what I want
to do and still have a safer Shell to work from.  With gratitude.  And
lastly, I promise that if my decision is foolish, and I screw up, I will
post the truth and eat the necessary crow, so that the forum can prosper
from loss.  I actually believe that it is only appropriate as a solution
for people with a similar problem, or for those who have an equally
important reason for doing it.

The feature I am struggling to get back is one I regretted losing, when
I upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy.  That feature helped me a lot.  And I
used it the way I described.  _Please answer, I won't go to that website
if you don't.
_
Steven