Password question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 23 23:27:30 UTC 2008

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Eberhard Roloff wrote:

>>> With Linux, genarally anything is possible.;-)
>>>
>>> While this is possible, I would not advise to implent it. The Ubuntu
>>> concept of the first  user i.e. the admin user is that you use a rather
>>> secure password to login and then use the same to "su" to root, as needed.
>>>
>>> You can alter this and there are howtos to separate root to use its own
>>> password.
>>>
>>> It's actually quite simple but I would not advise you to do it since you
>>> are already familiar with the "Ubuntu way" of doing things. This is
>>> because, when you do it, your system will behave differently afterwards
>>> and you will need to treat it differently.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Eberhard
>>>

>> Sorry I wasn't paying adequate attention to what you just wrote.  I was
>> already thinking of possible reasons for avoiding this.  How does it
>> change my system?  What change in behavior would be anticipated?  In my
>> situation, is it more insecure?  TIA, friend.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Hi Steven,
>
> Well, I cannot answer this. There are numerous discussions around
> whether the Ubuntu way is more secure or not than "the other way round",
> which is, just for example, the SuSe or Red Hat way.
>
> Although I surely have my own opinion about this, I will not divulge it,
> there are to many flames around. ;-)
>
> What are the differences?
>
> Now you are just doing sudo fsck /dev/sda1
> alternatively when you need to be root for any length of time, you will do:
> sudo -i
> Password
>
> With a separate root account, it is similar but not at all identical.
> For example, sudo "something" will no longer work (except if you go and
> configure it) and you will most likely use "su -" to become root and
> then "exit" or "Ctrl+D" to exit root.
>
> Furthermore, I think you REALLY might prefer to use a strong root
> password and a weaker user password, since it is root where a
> compromised security will have potentially disastrous consequences.
>
> Again, if you are familiar with the Ubnutu way, I would strongly
> recommend to leave it at that.
>
> If you insist to have a separate password for root, you might google this:
> http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-change-the-root-password-in-ubuntu
>
> Kind regards
> Eberhard

It appears that I am asking a question that has been well thought out.
If the reason you don't want to answer the question, and allow me, this
one time, to not take your advice, send the response directly to my
email address.  I promise to never post the solution.  The only way I
would tell anyone is to help someone with the same disability.  And for
your sake I would not help someone I did not trust and who did not
agreed to not post it.  I believe that I will be able to get the answer
through another source somehow, and because the more I think about it,
the more benefit I see that I will derive from it I will continue to
try, just not on this forum.  I love this forum and don't want to hurt
it, but I wouldn't even let my pastor make my decisions for me, only GOD
or HIS son the CHRIST.  Thanks.

Steven