For Nils who has helped me or any other expert, and Nubies like me.

nepal nepal.roade at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 23 09:26:24 UTC 2008

On Sunday 23 Nov 2008, Steven Vollom wrote:
> nepal wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 Nov 2008, Nils Kassube wrote:
> >> Yes, obviously you understand what's going on. If you
> >> want to learn more about the command line and basics
> >> of the hardware, you may have a look at the rutebook
> >> package. After you have installed that package you can
> >> start reading with the file
> >> "/usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/index.html". I think it
> >> explains those things much better than I can.
> >
> > Yes, I learned much from the Rute manual in my earlier
> > days with Linux (and could have learned more) ;)
> >
> > Also for the command line there is the excellent;
> >
> >   http://linuxcommand.org/
> >
> > which I found best of all.
> >
> > nepal.
>
> Dear Nepal,
>
> I have been playing with settings and gotten myself into
> a pickle.  It sounded pretty good to have 'focus' follows
> the mouse, however, I may have set some other
> configuration that I don't particularly like.  Right now,
> I don't know how to move a window by dragging.  Is that
> the way it is supposed to be.  I don't seem to be able to
> resize a window either. Also, the menu bar has almost
> disappeared.  Where I was playing around, I have tried
> restoring defaults, however, it doesn't seem to change.
> I got carried away in settings and configuration when I
> just started into 'learning the shell'.  Is there a way
> to start over with original settings?

I'm not sure but this can be done safely. In your file
manager navigate to /home/$USER/.kde/share/config

In the list of files, find the file kwinrc, right click it
with the mouse and select rename. rename it to something
like kwinrc.old and hit enter. Rather than delete the file,
this way you can always go back to it and change the name
back to what it was if things don't work out.

AFAIU, when there are configuration problems with any kde
software, deleting the config file resets everything to
defaults the next time the software is run. I have done
this numerous times with kmail for example. IMO this was a
truly kind act of the programmers. :)

As kwin is the window manager (I think) you will have to log
out and back in again for the change to be effected, and
hopefully you'll have your default settings back.

> Did focus follows the cursor cause all this?

I wouldn't think so, no.

> I feel like an idiot.

You hit the jackpot then, you got me! ;)

> Steven

nepal.