problem cleaning up old drive

Hakan Koseoglu hakan.koseoglu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:19:35 UTC 2008

Hi Matt,

Matthew Flaschen said the following on 21/11/08 18:07:

> dban is about disk security.  Erasing and making it difficult to
> recover.  As for the bad sector issue, my understanding (could be wrong
> about this) is that modern drives automatically drop bad sectors after
> repeated failures.
Dban does bad disk check as well but as you've said it's more about security.
About modern disk drives - I still have occasional hard disk causing bad block issues. To be fair, when that happens usually the disk is on its way out and they don't last much long after such errors.
Turning S.M.A.R.T on is always a smart idea.