Inexperienced with shell, however, trying to learn how to use terminal to fix mount problem.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 06:33:17 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Sorry, I have no experience with Gnome - I'm using KDE where the GUI
> > administration is different (and for many things I prefer the command
> > line anyway). Therefore I can't tell you how to do it using the GUI
> > tools.
>
> I don't use Gnome either, Kubuntu Hardy.
> Kmenu>SystemSettings>AdvancedTab>Disk&Filesystems

Well, like I wrote in the other mail, I was a bit confused about the list,
so I realised that you aren't using Gnome after I sent that remark. And
now I had a look at Disk&Filesystems. It seems to be a tool to
maintain the /etc/fstab file, but there is no help available, so I
will not play with the settings.

> I just did what you instructed and here is what happened:
> steven at Studio25:~$ sudo mkdir /media/sdb5/$USER
> [sudo] password for steven:
> steven at Studio25:~$ sudo chown $USER /media/sdb5/$USER
> steven at Studio25:~$
>
> What did I just do?

You did what I wrote in my original mail. First you created a directory
with the command "mkdir /media/sdb5/$USER". Only root was allowed to
write to the partition, so you needed root privilege. Therefore the
command was prepended with "sudo". Then you changed the ownership from
root to yourself with the command "chown $USER /media/sdb5/$USER". And
again, only root was allowed to do that, so the "sudo" command was needed
again. Now, if you are really curious about these commands you can have a
look at the man pages. Type "man:sudo" in the address bar of Konqueror
without quotes and also "man:mkdir" and "man:chown".

> There is a folder
> named steven that  can contain data now.

And if you want to access your new folder more easily you can create a
link in your home directory with a command like this:

ln -s /media/sdb5/$USER $HOME/sdb5

Nils