Setting up WPA

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Nov 20 16:11:02 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> OK, I have a wireless router that can use WPA. I read some articles
> about setting up WPA but didn't find anything specific to either
> Kubuntu 8.04 or 8.10.
>
> Can someone point me to a [recent] 'howto' or give a simple explanation
> here?

If your wireless hardware is supported, there is nothing special about
WPA. If the procedure below doesn't work please tell us what wireless
hardware you have. If you don't know, you can find out with the command

sudo lshw -C network

in a terminal (e.g. konsole).

For both 8.04 and 8.10 the wireless interface is managed by the network
manager. There should be an icon in your system tray. If it isn't there
you can get it from K-menu -> Internet -> Network Manager.

For 8.04 right click the network manager icon. There should be an entry
for your network, click on the network name. It should open a new window
where you enter the shared key and click "Connect". When the connection
is established your kwallet will probably ask for your password to save
the network key.

For 8.10 right click the network manager icon and then select "New
Connection" -> eth1 (or wlan0 or whatever your wireless interface is
named). It will open a new window where there should be an entry for your
network already. Click on the network name and then "Next". On the next
page enter your shared key and then click "Connect & Save".

> Do I need to install wpasupplicant?

Yes, it is mandatory for WPA/WPA2 but it should be installed already by
default. You don't need to configure wpasupplicant because it is handled
by network manager.

Nils