8.04: Compiz broken?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 08:11:47 UTC 2008

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008 1:48:08 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> Not having updated anything recently, I just logged into Kubuntu 8.04
>> (KDE 3.5.10) and Compiz effects no longer work. I rarely reset this
>> computer so there may have been an update that broke Compiz, but I
>> know neither what nor when. Any ideas where to start looking?
>>

> Things seem to be working on my up to date installation.  Are you sure it's
> broken?  I have to right click the fusion icon and reload the window manager
> every time I log in.  As saved sessions don't reload compiz on KDE, nor the
> icon, I have set the icon as a persistent entry in the quick launch area of
> the panel, and just remember to launch it and reload the wm every time I log
> in.

Hmm.  Mine stays between reboots, I'm not sure what I did to make that
happen.

I've had mine not load every now and then, and just ran compiz from the
little command-line thing I added to a panel (probably just from a
terminal is good enough).  That doesn't happen very often, though.

Occasionally, mine will not load the adept updater icon into the panel
and make it a normal window.  I'm not sure what triggers this, but it
may be clicking on something before compiz is done loading.

I've also had it lose the emerald window decorations, but I just get
them back from the compiz fusion icon.

Paul