intrepid and vmware server 2

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Nov 18 18:59:42 UTC 2008

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Does anyone have any detailed instructions as to how to get vmware
> server 2 working with intrepid?
>
> I have used vmware ever since they stopped charging for it, and I've
> never really had any problems with it under Linux. But blowed if I can
> figure out how to make it work with intrepid. VMware seem to have
> changed everything, so that nothing is recognisable any more. I've
> managed to copy a virtual machine over from my hardy installation, but
> when I power up I expect to see the virtual machine boot up, but all
> that sems to happen is that a status message in their fancy-dancy new
> web interface tells me that the machine is powered up. But I can't see
> anything. Maybe I have to install something they call "remote console"
> (although I have no idea why I would need to install something
> separately if it's mandatory to see the virtual machine )... but when I
> follow the instructions it just says "follow the instructions", which is
> hardly useful (Yes, you did read that right: the instructions appear to
> be "follow the instructions").
>
> Anyway, I *have* to have vmware for my work, and if I can't get it
> working soon I'll have to ditch intrepid and just keep using the old
> hardy system.
>
>   Doc

This has nothing to do with intrepid but with vmware. VMware Server 2
ditched the remote console in favour of a webinterface that is hardly
useable when you are looking for a free as in beer vmware workstation
replacement.

It is more like a small esx server has been, just a server, not a
workstation. If you want to have vmware workstation for free, Sun
Virtualbox is the best replacement you can get.

Kind regards
Eberhard