Question on find inconsistency

Glenn R Williams gloonie at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 18 14:41:03 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I found a peculiar inconsistency with the  "find" command and wonder if anyone
can explain it (or even has it on their machine).

It has to do with quoting the  search pattern for the -name option. On my
system, if I run:

find / -name *.mp4

It works fine, and finds the files. BUT, if I just change the extension:

find / -name *.txt

I get an error:

find: paths must precede expression: file1.txt
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec]
[path...] [expression]

Does anyone know why this would be? I've used find for many years, but always
quoted the -name argument.

TIA,

Glenn

--