The fall of KDE?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:23:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/18 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
>> It was easy to see coming. This is from a link on Google, meaning it
>> is getting a lot of reading. How can this be good for Kubuntu? I sure
>> hope the devs see stuff like this and learn. I find it very
>> distasteful to watch my favorite desktop crash and burn due to bad
>> planning and poor thinking.
>> http://ardchoille.nfshost.com/Blog/20081116
>>
>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>>

> the author, like a lot of other people, is missing the point. everyone
> keeps complaining about how konqueror lost all of it's features
> because dolphin came on the line, not true! dolphin was in KDE 3.5 and
> konqueror was still feature rich. konqueror lost it's features just
> because of KDE4. all of KDE lost it's features in the transition to
> KDE4 due to the rewriting from scratch. and konqueror is just one part
> of all the other application that suffered this loss of features.
> kcontrol? it's not here, systemsettings will replace it, and it will
> soon be a feature full application. and trust me, if kcontrol was
> still available, it would have been a very feature missing
> application, with very limited configuration options.
> as for why KDE4 is not an improved KDE3? this was discussed in another
> thread. rewrite is much cleaner and better. it's tiring, it's hard,
> for both developers and end-users, but the end result is much better
> than improving, which usually causes loads of bloat, unused code here
> and there, code that is just accumulating over the years, bugs moving
> on, etc... in short, the improving a program procedure, is the
> procedure responsible for much of the bloat, bugs, and instabilities
> of Windows, i mean really now, there is code in vista that might have
> been used since the days of 95!
>

> --
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

But you would not have anywhere near this level of negative reaction,
if Kubuntu had waited a year to switch KDE4 to the default or at least
kept kde3 as an option. Kubuntu is a USERS distro not a developers
distro. This is not Gentoo with a bunch of savvy users. It should work
well when it is set to be the default program.

--
Douglas E Knapp