Backing up.

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Nov 18 00:29:24 UTC 2008

On Monday 17 Nov 2008, Paul Lemmons wrote:

> Man, for a programmer, I sure am backup stupid. I live the same world
> as the guy that said his drive had not failed in 11 years. Last time I
> had a true disk failure was with windows xp (LONG time ago).

That was me :-) and I've had several drives since then and none of them has
yet failed.

I remember it well - it was Windows 98 I think - I'd been away on company
business for a week, pushed the start button to let the beast warm up while I
started emptying the suitcase etc, and heard those dreaded three consecutive
beeps from the computer room. The monitor showed little other than "General
failure reading drive C".

BUT I'd made a backup of my essential files before I went away. Used WinZip in
those days, I think, but it did the job.

I think the message I'd like to put out is, it matters not what you use to
take a backup, but after you've done it, no matter what you've used, for
goodness sake CHECK THAT IT WORKED. I make sure that my tar.gz successfully
extracts, after being encrypted, written to a flash drive and read back
again. I also take extra copies of that file on more flash drives to take off
site. Paranoid? Maybe. Safe? I believe so.

Take your backups as often as you feel comfortable with. My home computer
usually gets done monthly, and anything that I really don't want to loose
such as an updated kwallet file can be copied onto a flash drive any time.

OTOH I've configured the subversion server at work to do a dump of all
repositories, copied to the engineering server, every weekday night, and
weekly copies of anything that changes. And, yes, I know that the dump files
restore properly. I've tested it and have a script to do it automatically,
once a new server is set up and running.

Dave

--

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763