OT: Batch converting .flv to .mp3 using ffmpeg

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 17:51:51 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> My daughter has given me a nice job :-)!
> She wants me to convert about 30 flash movie clips to MP3. At the moment I can do them
> individually using the following:
>
> ffmpeg -i name_of_video_clip.flv -vn name_of_file.mp3
>
> How can I convert a batch of them at the same time?
>
> I know it must be possible as I use the following to batch covert jpg's (for my daughters'
> facebook accounts):
>
> for i in *.JPG; do montage -geometry 450x600  -quality 75 $i -$i; done
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

i'm not very knowledgeable in bash scripts and it's loop functions, but
it seems reasonable for me to do a:

for i in *.flv; do ffmpeg -i $i -vn $i.mp3

not sure if $i.mp3 is a legal option, and anyways, i think this will
create a file.flv.mp3 name. still needs some minor editing :P
hopefully, i'll learn some more from the upcoming emails :D

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems