broken bluetooth after upgrade to 8.10

Sundar Nagarajan sundar.personal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 09:18:39 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> 2008/11/15 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
>>> Then why are the tools still in the distro?
>>>
>> Why is the appendix still in our bellies?
>>
>> That is actually a great question, Derek, and the truth is that the
>> bluetooth problem was discovered so late in the process that it is
>> just broken, not removed.
>
> Actually, it occurs to me that this is nothing to do with Kubuntu,
> anyway.  hcitool is not KDE  - it's much lower level than that.
>
> So the question is still "why doesn't hcitool work"?

I agree. I read the bug report, and it appears that the KDE bluetooth
APPLET (GUI) in KDE 4.x which is included in 8.10 is not compatible with
the bluez-4 stack. In fact some people on the bug discussion thread
report that bluez-gnome works fine. So the underlying stack and tools,
including hcitool, should work.

I have just played around a little with the bluez stack (on my eeePC),
so I cannot offer anything really samrt on why hcitool didn't work.
However, when I got my eeePC (running xandros, not ubuntu) to pair with
my Blackberry, I had the pin hardcoded in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf. And
after bringing hci0 up, I initiated pairing from the device end, not
from Linux. Perhaps that is significant?

Sundar.