converting to 64 bit

Art Alexion art.alexion at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 15:39:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looks like the issues unique to 64 bit have calmed down a bit.  I'd
>> like to switch as I have been playing with 64 bit Debian at work, and
>> like its snappiness, and want to access all 4 GB of my ram.
>>
>> Is there a reasonable path to switching, or do I need a fresh install?
>>  If I do a fresh install on another drive, can I just copy my /home
>> over?
>>
>> On Hardy now, but don't mind coordinating this with an upgrade.
>
> I think you have to do a fresh install, but save your /home.
>
> If I were you I'd first change to 64 bit hardy.  You want to deal with
> only one difference at a time.  KDE under Intrepid is very different,
> but if you stick to Hardy your .kde directory should work well.  Once
> you have 64 bit working you can upgrade to Intrepid if you want.

Sounds good.  I have a spare drive I can install the 64 bit hardy to.

With both drives installed, is there a way I can replicate the
installed packages while switching them to 64 bit versions?

For any packages not available in 64 bit, can I still run the 32 bit
versions under the 64 bit kernel?

I am new to x86-64, obviously.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface