No sound with Realtek ALC662 on Intrepid

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Nov 15 14:13:27 UTC 2008

On Saturday 15 November 2008 03:41, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I am having a problem with a system that has Realtek ALC662 sound. It is
> not giving me any sound. I probably need to do some trouble-shooting,
> but can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL

Hi Kevin.

What is the make and model of your Laptop/PC?

Can you post a bit of output as below.

cat /proc/asound/cards
lsmod | grep snd
lspci    (just the bit for the sound card)

Open alsamixer as user in Konsole, and check that nothing is muted (M key
toggles the mute/unmute), and that sliders are not at zero. Controls like
Master, PCM, and Front are the main ones you need to look at. Also scroll
along the list with the right arrow key, and push the CD one up if it exists.

Open Kmix as well, and check for anything muted, because sometimes it messes
with settings already set in Alsamixer. Open Kmix's settings > configure
Kmix, and uncheck the load volumes at login box, if it's checked.

That's probably enough for the moment.

Nigel.