Strange updates today

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Nov 15 12:51:25 UTC 2008

Michael Krueger wrote:
> Funny you ask for more information. I was not really wondering about that
> specific app, but rather should in general together with updates a small
> readme be provided, so that people know why software is even updated... I
> would like that.

The update was:

shadow (1:4.0.18.1-9ubuntu0.1) gutsy-security; urgency=low

  * disable the root password for virtual machines created with vm-builder
    on Ubuntu 8.10. (LP: #296841)

 -- Jamie Strandboge <jamie at ubuntu.com>  Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:17:27 -0600

All you have to do is goto packages.ubuntu.com, search for the package,
and click changelog.  In this case, it's at
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/s/shadow/shadow_4.0.18.1-9ubuntu0.1/changelog
.

I'm not really sure why this was fixed in shadow, though.  It seems like
a bug in vmbuilder.

Matt Flaschen