New monitor resolution problem.

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sat Nov 15 11:36:42 UTC 2008

On Saturday 15 Nov 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/15 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:
> > My new monitor just came in.  Due to problems with my new system, I
> > can't use it with the new system.  I would like to use it on my old
> > system, however, maximum resolution for my older system is 1280 x 1024.
> > Instructions for the new monitor say to set the resolution to 1680 x
> > 1050.  Not being the brightest bulb on the tree, I am concerned about
> > attempting it on my old machine.  All this wonderful equipment and I
> > can't seem to enjoy any of it.  Can I install this monitor on my old
> > machine without damaging the monitor?  TIA
> >

> Yes, you can use this new monitor on the od machine. The monitor will
> either scale the picture to fit the higher resolution, or will give
> you black borders around the image. In some monitors you can configure
> this behaviour.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

I had problems with the new monitor I bought for my son a few months back. Due
to having to move everything around in his bedroom, I had to donate his CRT
monitor to free cycle and buy a new LCD unit to save some space. The graphics
card in his old P4 computer simply couldn't work at the resolution/aspect
ratio of the new wide screen monitor, but for the additional expense of about
GBP25 I think it was, I managed to get a new PCI card from a local shop and
that works just fine, at the proper aspect ratio and native resolution of the
new monitor.

With the new computer I built almost a year ago, the 1600 x 1200 monitor
worked perfectly with the VGA input, but absolutely refused to work properly
with the DVI input. The only way I could get it to work properly with DVI was
by installing the nvidia driver, but since then it's been absolutely fine.

Dave Fletcher

--

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763