EMERGENCY!

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 14 22:41:23 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/14 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> If I plug into a 3 pin connector with a 4 pin plug, which side of the 3
>> pin has the open pin hole?
>>

> The 4-pin connector looks like this:
>  ___
> 0000
>
> Because the old 3-pin connector looked like this:
> ___
> 000
>
> Therefore, if you center the plastic gripper on the pins you will have
> connected the connector correctly. However, I've only ever done the
> opposite: connected a 3-pin fan to a 4-pin motherboard. So be sure to
> boot directly into BIOS and the temp meter, and keep an eye on the
> temp and the fans. If it gets above 45 degrees Celcius and the fans
> still doesn't come on then shut it down. If the fan does come on,
> leave it running and make sure that it doesn't go over 60 (It
> shouldn't with no load).
>
> Please report back with your discoveries. I'd like to know. Don't
> worry about damaging the processor unless you get over 70 degrees.
> I've only ever seen Intels get damaged at that temp, and even that is
> a rarity.

Have you seen a mempipe motherboard.  I will have to remove the heat
pipes for the memory to try this test.  They have a coating just like
that between the processor and the heat sink.  I don't have any suitable
paste to reapply.  I am old and without transportation and it is
difficult to get transportation for single events.  I shop online almost
exclusively.  The reason I am baulking is that it just proves the fan is
operational, not that the problem is solved.  I have new problems
concerning the BIOS possibly that may be the problem.  There is a forum
for this particular motherboard.  Others have had similar problems with
varying solutions.  The solutions are very expensive and I am wanting to
learn more before I proceed with something that is costly and doesn't
resolve anything.  When I connected a monitor and booted, nothing at all
came on screen.  Possible solutions are poor connection between
processor and heat sink, defective or improperly connected memory, and
motherboard defect.  Just sending packages to and back is costly and
tough for my budget, so I must be careful when making the choice to
proceed.  I am very grateful for the help, but the advice is so
differing and the possibilities are overwhelming me.  I have to slow a
bit just to stand the pressure.  If you can avoid it, don't get old, it
isn't all it's cracked up to be, other than the alternative, not getting
old.