For those who were following and assisting the EMERGENCY build problem.

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Fri Nov 14 10:45:40 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I have booted the computer and left it running for more than half an
> hour.  Although the heat sink fan is still not spinning, the computer is
> running quiet; nothing seems to be heating up.  I put my finger on cool
> components.
>
> My new monitor should be here tomorrow so I can get the bios set up and
> new OS hopefully installed.  So far it appears the build is just fine.
> Thanks again to all who helped.
>
> Steven

Steven,

I am glad that it is running so nicely and on low temperature, now.

Maybe you are operating to many fans within your case, so that the cpu
cooler gets a fair amount of cool air, so that the CPU fan does not need
to spin?

Anyway, I would recommend you to install lmsensors and ksensors, since
this will probably (i.e. if your chipset is supported by lmsensors)
allow you to monitor your temperatures from within the running KDE session.

Kind regards

Eberhard