Sorry, I give up to preach *ubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 01:07:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 18:48 +0200, Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> >> so basically nv does only 2d? i'm sure i have nv, not the open-sourced
> >> nvidia or xv. so if nv doesn't provide 3d, then wha's different between
> >> nv and nvidia, i thought nv has more functions than nvidia? :-S
> >
> > The open source driver is named "nv" and AFAIK only supports 2d while the
> > closed source one is named "nvidia" and supports 3d.
> >

> ah ok, sorry, i got mixed up. i thought nv is the proprietary. i just
> checked my xorg.conf, and i see i'm using the proprietary, nvidia. does
> it have some limitatios? i use it with having in mind that it supports
> whatever i need in linux. is this the case? is there some acceleration,
> some extension, some very basic render option that is usually required
> and missing from nvidia?

Nope, nothing missing. They built the card, they know what hooks up
where better than anybody. Try this, google on xorf.conf nvidia and your
model number. You'll see what problems others have had with your own
board and what they added or modified within the xorg.conf file to
enable all the features. My board is older than yours, so my file
wouldn't be of much use to you. Google and see what others have done to
theirs. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987