EMERGENCY!

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 13 21:14:06 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/11/13 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> I just put together my new computer.  I have never built one before.  I
>> got to the point where the power is supposed to be turned on.  I left
>> the side off the computer to adjust fan speed on two of the fans that
>> came with the case.
>>
>> When I turned the computer on, the case fans came on.  There was a
>> single beep.  Nonetheless the fan on the heat sink did not come on, and
>> it is fixed to the power post of the motherboard that was made for it.
>>
>> I shut down the computer because I believe the processor creates a lot
>> of instant heat, but I don't know what to do next.  My components are as
>> follows:
>>
>> ASUS M3N-HT Delux Mempipe
>> Processor is AMD Phenom Quad Black Box 9600
>> Power supply is BFG Tech ATX12Volt  ES Series
>>
>> Two Maxtor 500gb SATA HD's.
>>
>> The case fans are connected to the Power Cable that goes to the DVDRW &
>> Floppy Drive
>>
>> The heat sink fan goes directly to the motherboard.
>>
>> All the components are new.  The case did not come with a speaker that
>> would indicate the beeps that advise problems.
>>
>> I am using the on-board Video, 8400 Gforce for now; also I am using
>> on-board sound 8.1.
>>
>> Does anyone know if the fan over the Heat Sink not being on is normal
>> when first turning the computer on?  It took me a year to assemble the
>> components for my new computer; I can't afford to burn anything up.
>>
>> I am very worried.  Could someone who knows please respond?
>>
>> Steven
>>

> I have seen motherboards that will not turn on the processor fan
> immediately, but my two ASUS machines both turn the fan on right away.
> You are correct about the instant heat of the processor, but that is
> only a problem if there is no heat sink (yes, I've done that but only
> on purpose). With the heat sink you have enough time to boot into BIOS
> and look at the CPU temp. If it goes over 40 and there is still no fan
> then shut it down. You've got an AMD processor so there is less worry
> of overheating it than with an Intel.
>
> Now, why isn't the fan coming on? Check that the wires are secure (on
> both ends) and that they are not damaged.
I checked the connection on the motherboard.  The other end is connected
inside the fan assembly; how do I check that end?  Nothing appears damaged.
>  Be certain that it is
> plugged into the right place- sometimes it can be misleading.
I assembled from the User Guide.  I am confident it is the correct
place.  On the motherboard it says CPU_F under the pins.
>  Download
> the user manual for your motherboard if need be, they are easy to find
> on the ASUS website.
>
> Also, are you sure that you have not swapped the PSU's 20-to24 pin
> adaptor with the bumblebee connector? Both are 2x2 square and although
> the plastic is shaped to prevent confusing them, they can _still_ be
> swapped accidentally on most motherboards as the tolerances are so
> loose. The 2x2 connector with only black and yellow wires (bumblebee)
> is the separate one.

My power supply bound the 20 and 4 pin connectors together so you can't
make that error.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I turned the computer off as soon as I
noticed the fan wasn't running, so with your explanation, I am more at ease.