Sorry, I give up to preach *ubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 02:00:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 12:12 +0200, Willy Hamra wrote:
> On 12/11/2008, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > i'm a tolerant person. i'm giving them till february to release some
> > > KDE4-compatible driver, if they don't, won't do it, i'm off to ATI, and
> > > i'll of course, let them know why as well. every company that
> > > disrespects it's clients, force them to use certain software, OS, or
> > > other crapware deserves to be abandoned!
> >
> > I see plenty of problems reported with ATI as well, in gaming and doing
> > 3D graphic design, in the user-group maillists. The nVidia users, like
> > myself, have no problems. I'm not sure what the beef is, but I do run an
> > older nVidia card, a 5700 with 1/2 meg of vram. I use the nVidia driver
> > installer using EnvyNG which works like a charm. When I used Fedora, I
> > just installed the nVidia supplied driver package manually. Using the
> > third party packagers I had problems. Major problems doing really tight
> > 3D virtual environments. NVidia has been good for me, so I don't know
> > what problems the OP had. Ric
> >

> the problem is not with the installation. the proprietary nVidia
> drivers provided in the repos install perfectly. but the problem is
> with the lack of support for QT4 and KDE4 in general by these drivers.
> are you using the proprietary drivers, Ric? are using them with KDE4?
> if not, then you don't know about the problems i mentioned and suffer
> from. but if yes, then tell me, how is the general look and feel of
> KDE4? how many rendering glitches do you see per minute? quite a lot!
> turn desktop effects on, and these bugs more than quadriple. nVidia is
> aware of this, and that's why they provided the 177 beta driver
> series. for KDE3, the 173 drivers are still useful, and envy
> recommends them. but for KDE4, 173 are very very buggy, the 177 are a
> bit better, but still, nVidia is not doing it's job well with
> providing the necessary functionality.

Not sure just how any form of KDE would make demands on the video driver
that would be much different from one to the other. I use the nVidia
supplied driver for Java's Wonderland Project, I used it for Croquet and
SecondLife, plus a slew of openGL games. All detect libGL, libGLU
without a burp in the barrel. BUT! As I just wrote, there were some
problems with nVidia and newer kernels, which in a fit of devel
demagoguery wouldn't let 3rd party binaries to connect "properly" (or
call it "improperly") to the kernel. nVidia got broadsided (IMHO) and
had to scurry to play catch-up. I don't see how nVidia is -supposed- to
support KDE. Just maybe the problem is on the KDE end, instead. Every
other 3D intensive application that I use works flawlessly. Blender does
what it's supposed to do, no hangups, nothing blowing up, zilch.

I would install KDE4 to test this out, but nah.... not gonna do it for
the sake of testing the video out only. I'm still in the KDE3 camp! If I
can install KDE4 and run it temporarily, I'll give it a shot. You guys
tell me how to keep KDE3 and I'll stick KDE4 in to test  ... no kernel
upgrade though. Ric :)

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987