Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 12 19:21:23 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:

> Ubuntu uses Gnome as the GUI and Kubuntu uses KDE. Both use the same
> Linux under the hood and I think they both use Bash but I heard
> something about that change, still I think they will both change, if
> they do.

The default shell (ie, what you get with /bin/sh) is dash, because it's
more efficient than bash and is good for your system daemons and cron
jobs, where you don't need a command history, command completion, and
all the other little features of bash.  Gnome and KDE are both likely to
still set up new users with a default shell of /bin/bash, precisely
because of what makes dash attractive for non-interactive shells (though
it's not strictly a Gnome/KDE issue - it's just a default in the GUI
user management programs - your default shell is set at the OS level).
--
derek