Kubuntu 8.10 (ready or not ? )

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 11:06:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> Is Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1.x ready for normal uses...
>> compare to Kubuntu 7.10, we are not looking for buggy apps,
>> to deal with in a small office.
>>
>> I know, there are still working on the KDE,
>> but thought I would as the guru's of Kubuntu for the final word.
>>
>> if be the case, that its not there as of yet, then we may have to
>> to stay with Microsoft a little longer in the office.
>>
> Something tells me you will get multitudes of replies on this one...
> I face the same dilemma and my choice is KDE 3.5.10 and Kubuntu 8.04.1 .
> I can not see the Director (who likes to go FLOSS) struggle with
> semi-working PIM, apps not yet ported etc. I am afraid that would be the
> deathknell of the whole project that is likely to face resistance from
> "I am used to Windows and MS Office so why change" as it is.
>
> I have some explaining to do that they will have to do a "xp to vista"
> transition later from KDE3 to KDE4. Note I mean the change in user
> interface, not that KDE4 will be the mess that we have found Vista to be.
>
> good luck,
> Sinclair

If  I faced this, I would recommend the office go to Ubuntu 8.10 and
then at some latter date you can show them that they can also install
KDE4 and change back and forth at sign on. Perhaps that is to much for
newbies at the office but I see no other answer now. Or as you say
start with kde3 but why? I have always hated Gnome but I booted into
the other day (8.04) and it was quite usable now.
--
Douglas E Knapp