Intrepid. Desktop flashing on and off after login

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 07:09:27 UTC 2008

On 12/11/2008, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>
> > 2008/11/11 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> >> So GDM is using a valid mode (I've seen people complaining that
> >> GDM/KDM weren't using the same screen size as their desktop, so that
> >> doesn't surprise me).
> >>

> > Thats strange. Why would KDM/GDM override your setting in xorg.conf
> > and why should it change after you log in? If the X server is started
> > by KDM or with startx or xinit or just X they all use the same
> > xorg.conf. Do you have any more info regarding thous having that
> > problems?
>
> No, because it's never been an issue for me, but it's not a matter aiui of
> overriding X - it's just that if X has e.g. 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200
> screen sizes defined, then it's possible to set the default size for the login
> manager to be different from the desktop.
>
> In this case, then, Gnome may be trying to get a mode that isn't working
> correctly, even though GDM has a valid mode.  I _would_ have expected
> Gnome to try to cycle through all of them until it found the one GDM is
> using, though.

i have a xorg.conf that i use from the days of gutsy. with each
upgrade, i slightly edit some of it's settings, but nothing major.
upon starting to use a new monitor at work i had to remove some of the
high resolutions with high refresh rates (home monitor supports them,
work monitor doesn't). but till now, even in intrepid and the
so-called bullet-proof X, without this xorg.conf, i get horrible
resolutions, horrible behaviours, etc... i tried to create a new
xorg.conf when i freshly installed intrepid alpha 4. it's just as what
happened when i tried the same experiment with hardy stable, and with
gutsy stable before. kdm uses a resolution different from KDE, and on
intrepid, it was even worse! if i move the mouse to the right bottom
corner of the screen, the whole screen moves, the bottom panel becomes
in the middle of the screen, as if the screen is actually bigger than
the monitor size and i'm scrolling in it. so yes, kdm and KDE (or gdm
abd GNOME) don't have to behave the same. my xorg.conf is the
most-backuped and treasured file i have on the system :-P

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems