Install problem QTparted

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Tue Nov 11 18:34:48 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to a recent posting, it appears that qtparted is a package
>>> that can format my thumb drive.  Using Adept Package Manager I
>>> installed qtparted.  Every indication was that it was successfully
>>> installed.  It appears on Kmenu.  When I attempt to open it, the
>>> cursor indicates that the computer is trying to open the package,
>>> however, after a few moments that attempt ceases and the package
>>> remains unopened.
>>>
>>> Steven
>>>

>> I've had the same problem from time to time. My workaround is to start
>> it from the console:
>>
>> kdesudo qtparted
>>
>> a password window pops up: insert your password
>>
>> and you get the program running.
>> HTH,
>> I.
>>

> Thanks Ignazio, that worked great.  I have had similar problems with
> other packages in the past.  Will that step work for all, do you think?

I think that depends on the cause of the problem, but it's worth trying
them from the command line; even if it doesn't work, you may get more
informative error messages. It's better to try them without kdesudo
first, because that would give the program superuser access, and it
might cause problems.
HTH,
I.