First Impressions of Kubuntu 8.10

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 11 14:14:11 UTC 2008

lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com wrote:

> Perhaps if you set up a new user and logged in - that way you could
> see a default config and indentify what's config issues and whats not
> :)

Geez, what a dolt I am. :-(  You know, I _usually_ do that!

> I understand what you said earlier about being more impressed by the
> eye candy than you expected. I'm not a great fan of themes myself,
> more a functional kind of person, but KDE 4 is *really* smooth and
> good looking, to the extent I miss it when on gnome or XP.

Yes, that's exactly how I'm feeling.  When I got this laptop with Vista installed, it just annoyed the heck out of me.  I just felt like it was Windows dressing (sorry) to cover up the flaws.

With KDE4, flaws and all, I'm much more interested in finding ways to either work around the flaws, or change my ways.

In fact, even after getting Evolution set up to completely replace Kontact, I remember why I was only using Evo for it's Exchange connector.  It is _uuuggglllllyyyyy_, and klunky.  So it's back to trying to get kontact working reliably, already :-)
--
derek