Backing up.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Nov 11 01:11:04 UTC 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>On Monday 10 November 2008, Brendan wrote:
>> On Monday 10 November 2008, Knapp wrote:
>> > I not fraid of CLI or compiling or hard to set up stuff but I would
>> > really like to have something full service, easy and gui, so I can
>> > have a life. If I can't then I can't and will live with the CLI :-)
>>
>> Oh God, if that isn't the most ignorant offensive thing...I am hoping that
>> you're kidding.
>>
>> GUI = a life
>> CLI = no life
>
>Oh c'mon.   The guy is being realistic....   I agree with him.

The unrealistic part is being convinced you need either once amanda is setup
and running.  Cron takes care of the forgetting to run it part, you go on
with your life, fielding only the email amanda sends you the next morning
telling you what it did.  Setting it up needs attention via the cli, but once
that is done, you can forget about it until you need to recover something.

Here, I wrap it up in a couple of scripts that make sure all the tools & data
are there in your backup to do an absolute bare metal recovery once a bare
bones working re-install is done should the unthinkable occur.

A gui for a mature but still in active development backup program is a real
method to waste a lot of time on.  If you want eye candy, get a copy of
Arkeia, but bring a couple of grand for a full copy.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)