Changing from 32 to 64 bit, I need some 64 bit help.

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 01:17:58 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> [...]
>>> about assembly.  If anyone has assembled a computer using an ASUS
>>> Mempipe motherboard would you advise any particular problem I may
>>> encounter installing the cooling system, or for that matter, any other
>>> area of concern when assembling a new system?
>>>
>>> I have never purchased and installed a new processor, but I am told the
>>> one I bought generates a lot of heat immediately, so I want to make sure
>>> I install it properly before firing up for the first time.  There seems
>>> to be a pre-coated area for contact between the processor and the heat
>>> sink.  Is that sufficient, or do I need to apply a coating made for that
>>> purpose?  I have heard of such a procedure.  The processor is an AMD
>>> quad 9600.
>>>
>>> On a rather fortunate last moment bid for some memory on Ebay, I
>>> purchased 12gb of Axiom ECC DDR2 memory.  I got it all for the minimum
>>> opening bid, so I have more memory than my board can handle and will
>>> probably have as much memory as I can use for the first time in my
>>> life.  The motherboard can handle 8gb.
>>>
>>> If my luck holds, I will win the bid on an 800W power supply which is
>>> suitable for the components I have.  Can I install that after installing
>>> the other components, or is there a potential hazard in choosing that
>>> order of installation?
>>>
>>> I am a little cautious because I am probably over my head with this
>>> installation, so should I only start with one 2gb stick, or should I go
>>> ahead and install all 8gb?  The complicated assembly of the heat pipe
>>> system of cooling for the memory makes me want to install it all at the
>>> same time, but I don't know if that is wise.
>>>
>>> If I have infringed on the etiquette of this forum by adding this
>>> assembly information request, I am very sorry.  Please advise so that I
>>> don't screw up again.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>> Steven
>>>

>> I will not be any help on the 64-bit questions, but I do know something about
>> putting all the parts together.  First thing I need is a list of your
>> components.  What exact motherboard, the M3N-HT?  What video card, or are you
>> using the onboard 780i?  Is your memory DDR3 1066?  Stock cooling fan?
>> To answer your cooling question, since it seems you have a pretty high-end setup
>> (not ti mention a quad core!), I would say that you will _need_ to put a coating
>> of silver paste between the cpu and the cooling fan.  If you do not have any
>> yet, I would suggest the brand Arctic Silver.  The link on the bottom is an example.
>> You can always change a power supply at any time.  If you are installing linux,
>> you do not need to worry about how much memory is in the board (at least I never
>> had a problem)
>>
>> Alan
>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007
>>
> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for the response.  I know it is out of order for this forum, but

i know what you mean. it starts to feel like home here ;)

> The Motherboard is an   ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe Motherboard SLI AM2+
> .  For now I am going to use the on-board  sound and video.  It has
> taken me a long time to get the components together, so I am going to
> use the on-board equipment until I can afford to improve.  At least I
> will have a better system.
>
> The Memory is in 2gb sticks.  It is Axiom DDR2 ECC 667 mhz.  I am not a
> gamer, so I am sure it will more than meet my needs.  I will install 8gb.

you're not a gamer? lol, this crap you're buying is a lot of gamers'
dream system, at least mine :P

> The Power Supply will be a *Thermaltake Toughpower 850-Watt, or a
> **Thermaltake Toughpower 700-Watt.  *The bid comes to a close late
> evening tomorrow  on the 850.  I expect getting it, however if I don't,
> the 700 comes due in 2 days.  Surely I will succeed on one or the
> other.  If I don't, I will purchase an 800 that is offered at a fixed
> price.  So installation will take place in about a week.  I am just
> trying to get my T's crossed and my I's dotted before it arrives.
>
> I have 2ea. Maxtor DiamondMax 11 mode 1: 6H500FO 500gb Sata 3.0gb HDD's.
>
> DVDRW Sony 16X (used)
> DVDRom Toshiba 48X (used)
>
> My new case is an *Antec Three Hundred ATX Computer Case.  *The case
> includes several fans, with two for video cards when I finally get
> them.  I purchased this case because it has washable reusable filters,
> and it seems to be prepared with sufficient cooling fans.  And of
> course, the mempipe system is designed to keep the system 10 C cooler
> because of their design.
>
> Because at present, I don't have a 64 bit system, I pretty much ignored
> all the emails that relate to it.  I am hopeful someone with experience
> will recommend the proper distribution of Kubuntu.

i don't have a 64-bit system, but i read some of the 64-bit issues
discussed on the list, though not in great detail. one of the issues is
flash in browsers, but i remember it was solved. your best approach for
anything is to rely on the official repositories, and avoid getting too
much software from outside, as these are likely to not work. at least
that all i manages to learn from 64-bit discussions

> I do have a huge problem that I am trying to rectify.  The hard drives
> and the motherboard are pre-configured to work with Vista, which I do
> not have.  Is this something I can work around?  A new copy is very
> costly, and I will not use it once the system is installed.

that's marketing ;) hard drives work everywhere, there is no such thing
as "built specifically for Windows", anything that works for windows,
works for linux, the opposite is not always true. if you're sure you
don't want to deal with Windows at all, wipe the HD clean as soon as you
build your PC.

> I sacrificed all comforts to be able to purchase these components this
> past year; I live on a low fixed income, so I really can't afford to
> screw up on the installation.  So if you can forewarn me of any
> pitfalls, I would appreciate it.

i've built 40+ PCs in the last 3 years, but those are all 32-bit Intel
systems. Intel board, Intel processor, nVidia Cards, and some random
accessories. one of my most common mistakes that isn't dangerous but
might give you a heart attack, is improper wiring care. make sure all
wires are tied together properly, and non of them touch and fan,
specially after you close the case.
be careful with the CPU, make sure you're hands are firm and it might
not slip from them.
i usually bring a case with the power supply already in it. i start with
mother board, then CPU, then RAMs. i start working with the small wires
and pins. afterwards, i go for HDs and CD drives. connect the to the
board. connect them to power supply, connect the board with the power
supply. and then any extensions, VGA, sound card or something else.
you need to be careful with CPU cooling. make sure that the heatsink is
touching the CPU firmly. usually the clay-like substance beween them
ensures that they are connected with each other. or else, the heatsink
won't be able to suck the temperature from the CPU effectively! so be
careful here.

> Cordially,
>
> Steven
> P.S.:  Can you think of anything needed that I am missing, other than
>
>             the Arctic Silver?

an ATI VGA? it's far less trouble than nVidia nowadays, specially if
you're planning to use KDE4

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems